Corrosion in cooling systems can come in many forms, with one of them being galvanic corrosion. Galvanic corrosion occurs when two dissimilar metals come in contact with each other in a solution; and in cooling systems that contain both steel and copper, a copper corrosion inhibitor is required. The triazole chemistries, such as tolyltriazole (TTA) and benzotriazole (BZT) and methylbenzotriazole (MBT), are the most effective corrosion inhibitors for copper and its alloys. Triazole compounds work by forming a protective cuprous oxide (Cu2O) film at the metal’s surface in heat transfer systems. Additionally, triazoles bond with dissolved copper ions in solution. In boiler systems, alkaline ammonia can be produced by the breakdown of nitrogenous organic contaminants, or neutralizing amine chemicals. Although ammonia does not attack steel, copper alloy corrosion can occur if enough ammonia and oxygen are present together; thus, creating a need for azole chemistries to ensure that the system is properly treated.
Primarily, the application of a copper corrosion inhibitor is utilized in open recirculating cooling and closed-loop cooling water systems. However, these same products are a staple in other markets such as, Metal Working Fluids and Engine Coolants. Azole chemistries are very complex and often technical assistance is needed to formulate these products into an effective water treatment program. Bio-Source carries a complete line of azole chemical products to guard your clients systems against yellow metal corrosion. We are proud to be a distributor of the Wintrol® triazole copper corrosion inhibitors, supplying the industrial water treatment and metalworking industries.
Listed below is the azole product line that we carry for “yellow metal” protection, and other non-ferrous metals. The container sizes available are carboys, drums, totes, and tankers – Samples are available upon request.
- Wintrol® T 50Na (50% Sodium Tolyltriazole – NaTTA) – This product is a 50% Sodium Tolyltriazole solution in water. It is of very high purity for color and odor sensitive applications, and is most commonly used in liquid products with an alkaline pH. The industries where it is used include cooling towers, metalworking, engine coolants, inks and cleaners.
- Wintrol® CT (Clean Technology) – Wintrol CT is a “GREEN” azole product that is a direct replacement of Wintrol T 50Na. A cleaner product means reduced energy consumption, and the environmental benefits that come with using it are a reduced carbon footprint, and a reduction in chemical waste.
- Wintrol® 38Na (Blended Azole – 38%) – “The Copper Bullet” is a unique “Superior Azole Mix” developed for yellow metal corrosion inhibitor for aqueous applications. It is an ideal product for use in cooling tower applications with high corrosive environments. It is applicable for use in cooling towers, closed loop systems, metal working fluids, and automotive cooling systems.
- Wintrol® T (Tolyltriazole – 100% TTA) – Available in free-flowing granular and fine powder, Wintrol T is a microcrystalline TTA of very high purity with no odor or color. It is available in 25 kg lined paper bags, 50, 100 & 200 lb drums, and 1,000 lb super sacks. Industrial uses include: water treatment, engine coolants, aircraft & runway deicers, metalworking fluids, lubricants, compressor fluids, vinyl flooring, printed circuit boards, photographic emulsions, inks, cleaners, and direct treatment of copper (Cu).
- Wintrol® B (Benzotriazole – 100% BZT) – Available in the forms of coarse granular and fine powder, this 100% benzotriazole raw material is a high purity corrosion inhibitor for yellow metals. Technical assistance is often required to successfully formulate with this product. It is most commonly used in water treatment, metal working fluids, aircraft & runway deicers, engine coolants, and direct treatment of Cu – among others. It is available in 25 kg bags, 50, 100 & 200 lb drums, and 1,000 lb super sacks.
- Wintrol® B 40Na (40% Sodium Benzotriazole – NaBZT) – This product is a 40% Sodium BZT solution in water, and is a corrosion inhibitor for copper and other yellow metals. Most commonly used in liquid products with an alkaline pH for industrial purposes such as: cooling tower products, metal working fluids, engine coolants, inks and cleaners.
- Wintrol® MBT (Mercaptobenzothiazole – MBT) – Wintrol MBT comes in the form of an oil-free powder, and is a high quality corrosion inhibitor most commonly used for non-ferrous metal protection. Industrial uses for MBT include: Commercial and industrial water treatment, metal working fluids, cleaners, and engine coolants. Packaging available in 40 kg bags or bulk. It is FDA Regulated for use under the following sections of 21 CFR: Component of Adhesives, Defoaming agents used in coatings, Defoaming agents used in the manufacture of paper & paperboard, Textiles & textile fibers, Slimicides and Animal glue.
- Wintrol® MBT 50Na (50% Sodium Mercaptobenzothiazole – NaMBT) – This is a high quality liquid product of 50% NaMBT. It is most commonly used for non-ferrous metal protection in the industrial water treatment and metalworking industries; as well in engine coolants and cleaners. It is FDA Regulated for use under the following sections of 21 CFR: Component of adhesives, Defoaming agents used in coatings, Defoaming agents used in the manufacture of paper & paperboard, Textiles & textile fibers, Slimicides and Animal glue.